Fact: Design, planning and strategy save time and money
look, i'll prove it
- 50% of development time & cost on a project is often spent re-doing something that could have been avoided.
- Fixing a bad decision after it's been developed is up to 100 times as expensive as it would have been before.
- 75% of users make judgments about a company’s credibility based on their website’s design.
- Companies that are led by design outperform by over 200%.
- Every dollar invested in ease of use can return up to $100.
There is no question about it: Good design, planning and strategy save time and money.
Before you begin development on any project, you're going to need to plan. What is your product going to do? How does a user get from point A to point B? What technical requirements exist? How much will your product need to scale when you acquire new users? These questions ares always going to need answers. No good developer is going to start coding without a specification, whether you see it or not. This is important to know for two reasons:
- Even if you've hired the most honest and ethical development team in the world, they're still a vendor and they want to make money. Hiring someone who is going to plan with a goal of saving you money gives you a knowledgable ally and extra confidence.
- Designers usually cost less than developers, anyway.
Don't be fooled by the word "design." It's not about pretty colours, or graphics. It's about making sure you build a product that works. An app that your customers show off to their colleagues and friends. A product that sells. A website that keeps people coming back. Good design is not a luxury, it's a necessity that has to be in place before you start building.